Monday 5 May 2014

J. G. BALLARD - What I Believe


J. G. BALLARD 
James Graham  Ballard ( 1930 -  2009) was an English novelist, short story writer, and essayist.

What I Believe
 I believe in the power of the imagination to remake the world,  to hold back the night, to transcend death, to charm motorways, to ingratiate ourselves with birds, to enlist the confidences of madmen.
I believe in my own obsessions, in the beauty of the car crash, in the peace of the submerged forest, in the excitements of the deserted holiday beach, in the elegance of automobile graveyards, in the mystery of multi-storey car parks, in the poetry of abandoned hotels.
I believe in the genital organs of great men and women, in the body postures of Ronald Reagan, Margaret Thatcher and Princes Di, in the sweet odours emanating from their lips as they regard the cameras of the entire world.
I believe in madness, in the truth of the inexplicable, in the common sense of stones, in the lunacy of flowers,
I believe in nothing.

I believe in anxiety, psychosis and despair.
I believe in the perversions, in the infatuations with trees, princeses, prime ministers, derelict filling stations (more beautiful than the Taj Mahal), clouds and birds.
I believe in the death of the emotions and the triumph of the imagination.

I believe in all excuses.

I believe all reasons.

I believe all hallucinations.

I believe all anger.

I believe all mythologies, memories, lies, fantasies, evasions.

I believe in the mystery and melancholy of a hand,
in the kindness of trees, in the wisdom of light.

No comments: